Alex adopted me a number of years ago. He actually belonged to the neighbor on the east side of me, yet spent hours hanging
out with his kitty friends that lived with my neighbors to the west. He traveled through my yard going back and forth between
home and friends.

At that time I had been laid off at work and was spending more time in my home office and patio area. Alex began spending more and more time on one of my Adirondack chairs, during which we had great conversations. He is very vocal and expressive. He also started to follow me into the house. He was unbelievably well mannered. I set out a water bowl for him. I was also rather allergic to him.

An allergy prescription and a year later, I set out a food bowl. I still cannot keep Alex in the house overnight (swollen yucky eyes and congestion issues). Yet he knows that he is welcome to join his kitty friends next door in a comfy kitty igloo in the kitties’ house. It’s a perfect arrangement.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Presents from the Earth (June 3, 2010)

GARDENS AND BLOGS = WORK

For some unknown reason, I decided to 'garden' this year. With a firm resolve and lots of energy I started my project. The below trash bags are just three of the seven that were filled with tree roots, some so large I needed to borrow my neighbors huge loppers to cut them out of the ground. The root clearing didn't take one day - it took four - due to major digging, pulling, and clearing underground stuff. Had I known the extent of the tree roots in the proposed garden areas - hmmmm?



Success has been sweet manifest by the amazing flowers that are actually growing and blooming. I had tulips and then the hosta flowers faded before I remembered to photograph them. Currently the day lilies, dahlias, and bougainvilleas are beautiful and full of both blooms and blossoms - yeah!






I have actually harvested some of the lettuce and swiss chard (not pictured) to add to store bought salad greens for a wonderful salad. The japanese eggplant is just about ready to pick. I keep telling the squash (the 'big' squash is hiding under a leaf) and bell pepper to hurry and grow a little more so I can eat them too.
I tried a new variety of tomato plant that the nursery was hyping but they were not doing really great (they are growing a little better now) so I bought a couple of my old standbys (seen in the photo with the squash) and they are growing, blossoming, and setting so much better than the new variety - hmmmm.




The temperature is going to soar to 109 degrees by Sunday so that means no more tomatoes setting on until the fall. When the current crop is gone, guess I'll have to head to Whole Foods for their heritage tomatoes. Maybe the temp will drop back into the 90s - ha ha!
Chat later
Julene

No comments: