Alex adopted me a number of years ago. He actually belonged to the neighbor on the east side of me, yet spent hours hanging
out with his kitty friends that lived with my neighbors to the west. He traveled through my yard going back and forth between
home and friends.

At that time I had been laid off at work and was spending more time in my home office and patio area. Alex began spending more and more time on one of my Adirondack chairs, during which we had great conversations. He is very vocal and expressive. He also started to follow me into the house. He was unbelievably well mannered. I set out a water bowl for him. I was also rather allergic to him.

An allergy prescription and a year later, I set out a food bowl. I still cannot keep Alex in the house overnight (swollen yucky eyes and congestion issues). Yet he knows that he is welcome to join his kitty friends next door in a comfy kitty igloo in the kitties’ house. It’s a perfect arrangement.

Thursday, January 19, 2012


It has been 12 years since I received that horrible phone call telling me that Travis - my oldest child - had been in a terrible car wreak. The caller, my third child/daughter, was telling me that I needed to get home as quickly as I could because the doctors didn't know if he was going to live.

Getting 'home' meant that I needed to get from Washington D.C. to Las Vegas.

My employer, The Heritage Foundation, booked me on the next flight out of D.C. which was a flight out of Baltimore/Washington International. There would be a plane transfer in Denver and then on to LV; the total time would be over 6 hours.

In the blur of arriving at the hospital, I was hurried through to the trauma unit where doctors told me his condition was grave. He was hooked to life support machines and had brain stem and traumatic brain injures; his pelvis was crushed and one leg severely broken in numerous places. They could not tell me whether he would even live through the next few hours.

He did live and came out of a 9 month coma but the dear person in the photograph no longer exists - much to my great sadness; however life goes on.

I just wish he knew how much I love him!

Chat later

No comments: