Alex adopted me a number of years ago. He actually belonged to the neighbor on the east side of me, yet spent hours hanging
out with his kitty friends that lived with my neighbors to the west. He traveled through my yard going back and forth between
home and friends.

At that time I had been laid off at work and was spending more time in my home office and patio area. Alex began spending more and more time on one of my Adirondack chairs, during which we had great conversations. He is very vocal and expressive. He also started to follow me into the house. He was unbelievably well mannered. I set out a water bowl for him. I was also rather allergic to him.

An allergy prescription and a year later, I set out a food bowl. I still cannot keep Alex in the house overnight (swollen yucky eyes and congestion issues). Yet he knows that he is welcome to join his kitty friends next door in a comfy kitty igloo in the kitties’ house. It’s a perfect arrangement.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

REFLECTION


Since I returned home from traveling ten days ago, 
I’ve had cause to spend time reflecting 
on a couple of specific topics; 
family and missing animals.

Family, 
more specifically sisters and girl cousins, 
reflection has been joyous and full of smiles.

Reflecting on missing animals 
specifically kitties named Alex and Panther 
has only brought heartache and tears! 
The void of their not being around my yard or inside my home has been, oh so very noticeable! 
That void has been due to one individual; 
the daughter-in-law of my neighbors 
who is house sitting their home.

I have known her for decades through her infrequent visits, but mostly through her mother-in-law’s 
unflattering commentary. 
After the exposure of the past ten days, 
I can substantiate and greatly expand 
on that uncomplimentary commentary.

I have experienced her highly aggressive, 
yelling, and in your face, physical aspect. 
Yet, even more disturbing, 
I have experienced her ‘game playing’ characteristic. 
It is this second feature that I find 
so disturbing because it has been directed 
at the sweet innocent kitties 
she has been charged with caring for.

She is the individual who is holding 
my sweet Alex – hostage; 
he who has lived in my home during the days, for years! 
She has also imprisoned the semi-feral Panther kitty (because he came to visit me 
as he has done every morning for years!) 
I have been so angry at her. 

AND THEN…
I realized how unsatisfactory her life must be 
for her to act as she does. 
Her actions of imposing her will on the kitties only demonstrate what a control freak 
(“somebody who feels an excessive need 
to exert control over people [kitties]”) 
she actually is. 
(It must be awful to spend such unproductive time manipulating other people/animals) 
She has more than established that she is 
vindictive and a little ‘off her rocker’ 
(I knocked on the front door 9 days after my return 
and she called the police) 
and lacks empathy or compassion.

In short 
I pity her and her lack of
humanity
AND 
I am 
oh sooooo grateful knowing 
I would never be able to treat 
another human being 
or an animal 
with the same actions that she has oh so easily carried through with!

No comments: